Environmental Science is at the heart of research which focuses on various alternative energy systems, pollution control, pollution reduction, management of resources and assessing global warming.
Environmental issues need to be analyzed while keeping a lot of things in mind such as physics, biology and chemistry. Through this study allows for a systematic analysis report on these environmental problems. That’s why environmental scientists are tasked with creating analysis while keeping the space, time relationships and quantitative research in mind.
In the previous guide, we discussed 10 facts on environmental science for a definition essay; we wanted to go a step further to assist you with the topic selection:
- World Food Problems and Their Effects on the Environment
- Utilization and Sustainable Management of Water Resources
- Consumption Patterns of Water Usage throughout the World
- The Pros and Cons of Various Energy Types
- How Is Fossil Fuel, Oil, Coal, Nuclear Power and Natural Gas Destroying the Environment?
- What Resources Can the Forest Offer?
- What Is the Role of an Individual in Conserving Energy and Water Resources?
- How can Renewable Energy Helps the Natural Environment of Underdeveloped Countries?
- Advantages of Multidisciplinary Studies in Solving Environmental Problems
- What Are the Causes of Land Degradation and How Can They be Controlled?
- What Is the Control Measure of Air, Soil and Water Pollution?
- Environmental Consequences of Deforestation
- Endangered & Endemic Animal Species of the World
- Effects and Control Measure of Nuclear Hazards
- How Can Food Security be Achieved?
- Untapped Energy Sources
- The Causes of Decline in Food resources
- The Causes of Desertification and How Can it Be Controlled
- How to Curb Environmental Problems Caused by Dams
- The Threats to Biodiversity in Today’s World
You are now armed with ten highly informative facts on Environmental Science and 20 topics that can be narrowed down to specific environmental science topics.
Environmental Science is a substantive and active field through which systematic research is performed. It is an amalgamation of several disciplines and because of it being interdisciplinary it becomes possible to solve the intricate issues of the environment. It also helped develop certain environmental laws through which various environmental investigation protocols were established.
Environmental Science has also helped establish a trend of public awareness towards the threats of climate change caused by environmental problems.
We are now going to write an essay on one of the topics mentioned above so that you can understand how to research and put your piece together. Just so you know, our next guide focuses on: how to write an extended definition essay on environmental science.
Sample Environmental Essay: How Can Food Security Be Achieved?
Food security basically assures the continuation of access to food, regardless of race or class, at all times for the sake of a healthy life. The number of people that die from starvation, dietary deficiencies or malnutrition throughout the world sits at a staggering 18 million. The earth has a limited amount of food and if this pattern of insufficient food production continues, we’re looking at a growing population with pressing needs and the possibility of riots and anarchy spreading uncontrollably.
Population growth needs to be kept in check if food security is to be achieved. Other factors tying into food security include the availability of water, active farming, equal distribution and reasonable consumption of food. It is very important that small scale farmers are properly incentivized so that the culture of farming continues to thrive. The international community also needs to come together to ease trade related restrictions.
Long term food security can be achieved through protecting and conserving wild crop variants in wildlife sanctuaries and national parks. According to a study if conservation isn’t taken seriously, by the year 2025 around 60,000 plant species will go extinct, which accounts for roughly 25% of the world’s crops.
Environmental scientists are currently working on a second green revolution so that food security is assured for the future. According to scientists, this new revolution should be based on proper water management, equity, biodiversity, conservation of cultivars, environmental sensitivity and complete protection of wild crops.
It is very important that farming methods are revised. Chemical agriculture is harmful to the environment and it is crucial for the sake of long term food security that a shift is made to organic farming through the practice of integrated nutrient management and pest management. Not only that but urban settings can also be utilized to grow vegetables and fruits by using waste household water and fertilizer.
The land’s degradation and desertification needs to be stopped and water pollution needs to be reversed. Similarly, the soil needs to go through an expansive conservation processes relative to current farming methodologies. It needs to be enhanced using organic matter, management of watersheds and rotation of crops at a very micro level. This is the only way to achieve agricultural production needs.
Population control is also a major requirement in order to keep the food supply effective. A large number of newly born babies go through malnutrition; the literacy rate should be improved in the female population particularly, so that they understand what nutrition their newborns need.
Overall, the need for awareness towards the management of food has become very important as a lot of food goes to waste simply due to negligence.
Wagner, T., & Sanford, R. M. (2010). Environmental Science: Active Learning Laboratories And Applied Problem Sets. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
Friedland, A. (2015). Environmental Science For AP. Place of publication not identified: W H Freeman.
Karr, S., Interlandi, J., & Houtman, A. M. (n.d.). Environmental science for a changing world.
Wright, R. T., & Boorse, D. (2011). Environmental Science: Toward A Sustainable Future. Boston: Benjamin Cummings.
Withgott, J., & Laposata, M. (2014). Environment The Science Behind The Stories. Boston, Mass.: Pearson.
Enger, E. D., & Smith, B. F. (n.d.). Environmental science: A study of interrelationships.
Cunningham, W. P., & Cunningham, M. A. (n.d.). Environmental science: A global concern.
5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote
Tags: definition essay ideas, definition essay topics, environment essay topics
List of Easy Essay Topic Ideas
Updated on February 5, 2018
Does Humor Work Best in Ads?
Can you Educate People using Videos?
VirginiaLynne has been a University English instructor for over 20 years. She specializes in helping people write essays faster and easier.
- Pick a sport of your choice. Explain which is more enjoyable for fans: college or professional sports?
- What sport is more exciting to watch: football, soccer, baseball, basketball or something else?
- Who is the best Quarterback of all time? (or choose another position in football to discuss)
- Who is currently the best pitcher? Or you can talk about the best pitcher of all time.
- What is the difference between right and left handed pitchers or batters? How does this change the play of the game?
- What is a curve ball? Or a knuckleball? How does a pitcher learn to throw and what difference does it make in the game?
- Who was the best player in the most recent World Cup?
- What is the best sport for exercise for people over 50?
- What does it really take to be excellent in a sport? Pick a sport you know and give vivid details about training, workouts, preparation for a competition or game and/or the experience of a competition.
- What causes professional athletes to make major mistakes, such as World Cup players kicking the ball into their own goal?
- Which sport is the best one to play in high school?
- Pick a sport that you think needs to be added to your school program and give reasons why this sport would enhance the experience of students.
- Which sport is the most dangerous for young people? Are there sports that should be banned from schools?
- If you could be a World Class athlete in any sport, what would you choose? Why?
- What is the most difficult sport to play?
- How can creative or funny ads like the "Rethink Breast Cancer: Your Man Reminder" make people take care of their health better?
- Does not getting enough sleep affect your health? How much sleep do young people really need?
- Have you been in the hospital for a test or a surgery? Describe your experience.
- Have you experienced an injury from a sport? Describe what it takes to recover from an injury and the best medical advice you got to help you recover.
- Are supplements really helpful to health? Describe a supplement you believe in and explain why you believe it works.
- How important is it to eat a balanced diet and take vitamins? Do you follow the doctor's advice?
- Lots of people follow gluten-free diets. Other people avoid meat or sugar. Describe a special diet you know about and explain how it helps health.
- Scoliosis is a problem for many young adults. How can this be treated and what are the problems this disease causes for people over the course of their lifetime.
- Have you participated in a health non-profit organization's work (examples: Jump Rope for Heart, Giving blood, or Susan B. Komen run). Why is it important for people to support these organizations? Give your experience to back up your reasons.
- Are soft drinks like Coke, Pepsi, 7-up and Dr. Pepper really dangerous to your health? Should you avoid them?
- Should BMI reports be included on report cards to report on student's health? Does testing for weight and obesity violate a student's right to privacy. Does a poor health report card actually help encourage better health practices?
- Can banning sweets, sodas, and fast food at schools promote better eating and health among school kids?
- How can schools best promote exercise and good health? Should physical education be a part of every day a child is in school? How much recess? Should children be forced to run a certain amount?
- Most schools require health education. Are these classes useful and effective at promoting good lifelong health? What should be included in the curriculum?
- Should people have surgery to correct defects or imperfections in their body? Is corrective surgery a good part of mental health?
- Does stress make you sick?
- Do ad campaigns like Dove’s “Real Women” actually help women to have a better body image?
- What can a woman do who faces domestic violence?
- Pick a television series and discuss how it portrays women in a positive or negative way. Does it promote or break stereotypes?
- Compare a television series from the past with a current one. How have portrayals of men and women changed? How have stereotypes stayed the same?
- How does the portrayal of race in advertisements affect women positively or negatively?
- Examine a current magazine geared at women. What does this magazine portray about how women should think, do or believe about themselves? Are there conflicting messages?
- How does being abused as a child affect a woman’s relationship with her own children? With men?
- Why are so many women depressed?
- What is the best way to help a friend with an eating disorder?
- Why do women become prostitutes?
- What is feminism? Are you a feminist? Why or why not?
- What advantages are there for a woman who stays at home when her children are young?
- Is it better to be a woman than a man? What are the advantages of being a woman?
- How are women's friendships different than men's friendships?
- Why are women jealous of one another?
- The "Take the Poop to the Loo (toilet)" video was made by UNICEF to educate people in developing nations to use toilet facilities (see video below). How well does humor work to educate people?
- How should college campuses and police departments handle binge drinking?
- Colleges concerned with campus security sometimes put curfews on residents or restrict male/female visiting hours. What is the right balance between safety and freedom?
- Is it really necessary to get a college degree? Is a college degree worth it?
- States like Texas automatically admit the top 10% or so of high school graduates in a class to their public Universities. Argue for or against this practice.
- Do high schools offer a better education for students today than they did for their parents
- Is grade inflation a reality? Should schools and colleges go back to more vigorous grading?
- Is it a good idea for students to take a “gap year” to travel , work or volunteer before going to college?
- How important is it to learn a foreign language? Should schools require (or encourage) foreign language or study abroad?
- Categorize and explain the social groups at your High School.
- Is boarding school a good idea? What type of student benefits from living away from home?
- What are the benefits of going to an all-female or all-male school?
- Do school uniforms make a better school environment? Are they easier and cheaper for parents? Would you recommend them for schools to adopt? Why or why not?
- Should schools allow pregnant teens to continue to attend? Should there be a day care on campus?
- Is promoting birth control in the schools a good idea?
- Is it a good idea for students to skip grades? Should there be an easier way to test out of having to take courses in school or a better way to graduate early?
- Pick a successful business like Starbucks, Apple, Target or other Fortune 500 company, or pick a prosperous local business in your community. Explain why that business has done so well. What have they done to attract customers, brand their product and present it appealingly?
- Should businesses be proactive about helping their employees keep their weight in the correct BMI? If so, what should they do?
- Does promoting something as “green,” “recycled,” or “reducing your carbon footprint” really help sell products?
- What is white collar crime? How does it harm everyone?
- Is it important for things to be “made in the U.S.A”?
- Are Christian businesses like Chick-fil-a and Hobby Lobby promoting an effective business model by not being open on Sundays?
- In spite of a lot of progress, men still make more money than women for similar work. Explain why this is so. Is there something we should do about it?
- Is Cybersecurity important? How is your country trying to keep cyberspace safe? How much privacy should citizens be willing to give up?
- What are the limits government should have in investigating businesses and regulating them for terrorism?
- How should businesses choose employees? What is the most important: education, grades, test scores, interviews, recommendations, internships or some other criteria?
- What is the responsibility of colleges and Universities to help their graduates find jobs?
- Does letting someone work from home have disadvantages in terms of productivity? How important is it for people in a company to meet face to face?
- Should businesses offer on-site childcare? What are the benefits for companies?
- Should people support local businesses rather than shopping on-line?
- Is it ethical to buy something, use it, and then bring it back?
- Is drinking bottled water a good or bad thing to do?
- Which is more important: saving a species or encouraging development of land so that people have more jobs?
- Should the people of Flint Michigan be compensated for the contamination of their drinking water?
- Should we develop more public transportation in the U.S. so that there is less pollution due to cars?
- Should people pack lunches in reusable containers? Is it worth it to take that trouble?
- Are disposable diapers worse for the environment than reusable cloth diapers?
- Should people support the grow local and buy local movement to help the environment?
- Is nuclear energy a good or bad choice for your country?
- Would you pay more for all renewable energy like wind or solar? Why or why not?
- Is there such a thing as "noise pollution?"
- Why don't people pick up their trash?
- Why don't people recycle more? How can we best encourage recycling?
- How important is protecting the environment?
- What is the biggest environmental issue that will face your generation?
- Do zoos help or hurt animals?
- Can we stop the destruction of our environment?
- Are hunters good or bad for the environment?
- Should commercial fishing be banned to protect ocean creatures that are caught and killed accidentally?
- Is it ethical to eat wild salmon or the meat of other wild creatures?
- Does becoming a vegetarian help or hurt the environment?